just a quick little in and out to see between the lines of reporting on politics and culture, to look for ways of viewing the world positively and, when necessary, to call them on their shit.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

filed under: Why I hate Political Correctness

I saw this little note on Drudge. (link)

Some school board members at a district in Utah don't want a school to have the students' chosen mascot, a cougar, because... it is disrespectful to women.

Wait. What?!

Yup. The board members want to protect the feelings of older women who prey sexually on younger men.

Now. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But still. It's not like the students wanted to call their school the MILFs. And no one is suggesting the school members would not have the same reaction if the students had chosen the Dirty Old Men.

But Come On!

I am sure that there were probably some sniggling teenaged boys who were leading the call for the new mascot. But does anyone really think that the world would see that name and immediately expect a bunch of desperate housewives to come running out onto the field to play the homecoming game?

Of course not.

And, by the way... what did the board members prefer?  The Chargers.

I ask you... Is that an appropriate mascot for a group of impressionable young minds growing up in an age when, before they have even worked a single day in their lives, they are already are on the hook for 15 trillion dollars?

2 comments:

  1. Of course the board took things way too far. It has become a game of Twisters in this era of lawsuits and fear.

    However, your choice of the word 'prey' in describing cougars as women who "prey sexually on younger men" suggests that you do think that there is something wrong with women sleeping with younger men. I don't think you meant to exhibit such double standards here but as a friend, I mean to keep you on your toes :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm all about older women "preying" on younger men. And the young men are most likely "praying" for it, too. I simply meant to point out the silliness of the conversation. It's as ridiculous as the leap I took in suggesting that "Chargers" should be taken to mean people growing up in a society in which China owns us. It's not quite the same thing as calling a team the "Redskins" because there is not really any other way to take that word as a mascot name other than the way that would offend Native Americans. But there is, after all, such a thing as a cougar. An actual animal. Which was kind of the point of the piece. I don't think anyone would hear the term and make the leap the school board made. They were looking for offense.

    ReplyDelete

OK, OK... I know.
But tell me why I'm wrong... teach me.